Skip to main content

Mysql sharding at our company - Part4 (Cell architecture)

Interesting to know how different people can come to same architecture to solve scalability issues.  I just read this article published today called as cell architecture http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/5/9/cell-architectures.html  and I came up with same architecture in our company as highlighted in the  diagram below and I am calling it as "Cluster" instead of "cell" or "pod" but the concept is same.

You can read a bit more on the link I published above but the main reason why we chose this architecture were:

  1. Failure of a cell doesn't cause the entire DC to go down.
  2. We can update one cell and watch out for a week before pushing the release to all cells.
  3. We can have difference capacity for different cells (Enterprise customers vs trial customers).
  4. We can add more cells or mores mysql host to once cell if it has a capacity problem in one component.
  5. Ideally you want to make it as homogeneous as possible but let say for some reason in one cell people are doing more add/delete files than just adds and delete causes index fragmentation so you can do aggressive index defrag on one cell than others.
Part1 of series

Part2 of series

Part3 of series

Part4 of series

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...