Skip to main content

Firefox3 and Caching HTTPS content

We use HTTPS for our website because it caters to data for SMBs, I primarily use Firefox browser and it was not caching static content. I was ignorant because when I googled for caching HTTPS content I found various posts that told that content over HTTPS cant be cached. Surprising thing was that IE8 was caching the content and as I dont use IE much I didn't noticed it. Luckily I started used JAWR for DWR JS aggregation and recently I added ExtJS and prototype to it. Surprisingly after doing it the initial load became fast by 1-2 sec and I was surprised. Upon firing up Fiddler I was surprised to see that Firefox is not even making call for the aggregated JS. Ultimately I figured out that it was Cache-Control:Public header that was making all the difference. JAWR was setting Cache-Control: public, max-age=315360000, post-check=315360000, pre-check=315360000 and we were setting Cache-Control:Private, max-age=315360000. That's it done!! we changed the headers and now Initial load on second login is fast even after you close the browser.  When Cache-Control is private Firefox uses memory based caching and when Cache-Control is public Firefox uses disk based caching for HTTPS based content. You can type url about:cache to confirm this.

fyi this doesn't mean we don't need to focus on removing the no of http requests any more or looking for a CDN solution because according to a study by Yahoo surprisingly 40-60% requests are done from an empty cache. http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2007/01/04/performance-research-part-2/. It just buys us some more time to automate some of the things like sprite creation and others in meanwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…