Skip to main content

Parsing xml file using SAX file in python

Again I love simplicity of python. I had a xml file that sometimes can range from 1KB to 100MB so I can't use ElementTree. Python SAX  seems similar to java minus the verbose nature of java.

My xml file looks something like
<restorezipmeta messageid="UUID" outputzippath="test.zip" resultendpoint="http://XXX.7080/rest/private/RestoreRestService/1.0" userid="1">

  <restoreentry logicalpath="/Shared/kpatel/CustomRules.rtf" physicalpath="/home/kpatel/try/About_Ubuntu_[Russian].rtf"></restoreentry>

  <restoreentry logicalpath="/Shared/kpatel/BrowserPAC.doc" physicalpath="/home/kpatel/try/Derivatives_of_Ubuntu.doc"></restoreentry>
</restorezipmeta>

 and here is a small sample to parse the xml using SAX api and create the zip. All you need to do is to create the ContentHandler like you do in Java minus the verbose nature



import zipfile
import os, sys
import logging
from xml.sax import make_parser
from xml.sax.handler import ContentHandler
logger = logging.getLogger("restore_consumer")

class RestoreXmlHandler(ContentHandler):
    def __init__ (self):
        print "init"
        
    def startElement(self, name, attrs):
        if name == "RestoreZipMeta":
            self.zipFilePath = attrs.get('outputZipPath')
            logger.info("Creating zip %s" % self.zipFilePath)
            self.restoreZip = zipfile.ZipFile(self.zipFilePath, "w", zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)
        elif name == "RestoreEntry":
            physicalPath = attrs.get('physicalPath')
            logicalPath = attrs.get('logicalPath')
            logger.debug("Adding physicalPath=%s to zip %s at logicalPath=%s" % (physicalPath, self.zipFilePath, logicalPath))
            self.restoreZip.write(physicalPath, logicalPath)

    def characters (self, ch):
        return

    def endElement(self, name):
        if name == "RestoreZipMeta":
            self.restoreZip.close()
            logger.info("closed zip %s" % self.zipFilePath)

def processMessage(restoreMetaFile):
    parser = make_parser()   
    curHandler = RestoreXmlHandler()
    parser.setContentHandler(curHandler)
    f = open(restoreMetaFile)
    parser.parse(f) 
    f.close()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    processMessage(sys.argv[1])

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...