Skip to main content

Spring log query execution time for SimpleJdbcTemplate

Without going into too much depth here is the way to do it. The challenge faced were SimpleJdbcTemplate has a no-arg constructor. In future the intent of this interceptor is to detect N+1 query problem by using a light weight instrumentation framework plugged in instead of logging query times in log file.


 public void setDataSource(DataSource dataSource) {
  final SimpleJdbcTemplate simpleJdbcTemplate = new SimpleJdbcTemplate(
    dataSource);
  Enhancer enhancer = new Enhancer();
  enhancer.setSuperclass(SimpleJdbcTemplate.class);
  enhancer.setCallback(new MethodInterceptor() {
   @Override
   public Object intercept(Object obj, Method method,
     Object[] args, MethodProxy proxy) throws Throwable {
    try{
     String methodName = method.getName();
     if (methodName.startsWith("query")
       || methodName.startsWith("batchUpdate")
       || methodName.startsWith("update")) {
      String query = (String) args[0];
      String prefix = extractQueryName(query);
      long start = System.currentTimeMillis();
      Object result = method.invoke(simpleJdbcTemplate,
        args);
      logger.info("Query {} took {} msec", prefix,
        (System.currentTimeMillis() - start));
      return result;
     } else {
      return method.invoke(simpleJdbcTemplate, args);
     }
    } catch(InvocationTargetException e) {
     throw e.getTargetException();
    }
   }

   private String extractQueryName(String query) {
    //with xml based property files I am externalizing queries into a xml file and then when reading them back I am appending query name as a comment before qeury so a query look like below and I extract query name here.
    /*getPerson*/ select * from person
   }
  });
  this.jdbcTemplate = (SimpleJdbcTemplate) enhancer.create(new Class[]{DataSource.class}, new Object[]{dataSource});
 }

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...