There are many disadvantages of working remote but there are many advantages of working remote.
- You are saving time on commute so you get more time for family if you are disciplined enough to start/stop work at office times (rarely happens on all days but still better than getting stuck in traffic)
- Less people coming and distracting you by just walking into cubicle to discuss office politics
- Less people coming and asking you things that they can just google for themeselves.
- Due to the above points you get more work done in less amount of time.
- You RTFM more than usual. If you are stuck on an issue you are the only one who can find the solution as the luxary of walking into someone's cubicle for help is gone, In a sense its a double edged sword but as you are left with no choice in the end you come up as winner and you become more and more of problem solver on your own. This way you tend to research things in detail and increase your arsenal of skills.