Skip to main content

From NOSQL to MySql (BDB to mysql) - Part2

So we are now in third week of Mysql deployment and slowly we are moving nodes from BDB to Mysql  Results so far have been promising.
1) We had ran into some query optimisation issues with Mysql that I blogged here http://neopatel.blogspot.com/2012/04/mysql-subquery-multiple-columns.html
2) Just ran into a 4 byte unicode issue with Mysql where utf8 with mysql wont support 4 bytes characters and apparently you have to use utf8mb4 for it, how stupid of Mysql.  Will write a separate blog post for it.

But as far as performance is concerned its rocking so far. On 20th we did the deployment and as soon as the node went live with Mysql you can see immediate drop in load avg consistently for this week. This is because most of the processing that was done by in memory db on app node is now transferred to Mysql.  But in second graph you would see that Mysql is sitting ducks and its no where close to app node load avg. Now this is with 3 nodes pounding, we would add 10+ nodes to start with on each Mysql and then consolidate later as I want to start conservative.

Biggest benefit we would  get is instead of managing 120+ BDBs on each node we would manage 10 Mysql servers and later we would even consolidate them once we see them sitting idle. I will share more details on sharding architecture I came up with in another blog post soon.
App Node Load Average
Mysql server load average


Part1
Part2
Part3
Part4
Part5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…