Skip to main content

openldap adding an index

We use ldap to store customer metadata like users, customers and other stuff. Right now each node has a ldap and we are trying to consolidate ldaps across different nodes. So I loaded one ldap with data from 20 nodes and some of the queries were taking 4000 msec.  So I saw that indexes were missing .

I went to  slapd.conf  and  added

index customerNumber,customerDomain,email   eq
index customerName eq,sub

I also updated the cache size to 4G in DB_CONFIG file

set_cachesize   4 0 1




I restarted ldap and suddenly things were flying but something  was fishy as the new numbers for 100 threads was faster then previous 1 thread time for all operations. So I picked one query and ran it manually and found that a simple query like below was coming empty



ldapsearch -x -H ldap://localhost:389 -b "dc=xxx,dc=com" "(&(objectclass=objuser)(email=kpatel@comcast1.net))"|grep email|more


I removed the index and restarted ldap and same query started returning results. Upon googling I found that if you add a new index you have to reindex your data, wth.  so I
1) shutdown ldap
2) ran


/usr/sbin/slapindex -f ~/openldap/etc/slapd.conf -b "dc=xxx,dc=com"
3) started ldap
and now the query was returning results.

And LDAP rocks even 500 threads its rocking fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…