Skip to main content

jenkins aggregating downstream build results and how a "-" can be PITA

You would want to reuse common piece of jenkins builds to use DRY. for e.g. if you have multiple instances like dev, psr, uat and a deploy target for each instance or you have installer targets per branch. Then only thing that is different is the instance where you are deploying or the branch that you are building respectively. Two weekends before I ran into an issue where I was creating a target to auto deploy a build on an instance and problem was I had following build targets

UAT -->AnyDeploy->Run-Tests
QA->AnyDeploy->Run-Tests
Dev->AnyDeploy->Run-Tests

So I had AnyDeploy and Run-Tests as shared targets that I was triggering using parameterized builds now I wanted to archive test results on top level targets(UAT,QA,Dev). Now jenkins already has an option to aggregate downstream test results but problem was that my friend had written some cryptic test runner and junit formatter that was printing results in some non standard format. So I installed copy artifact plugin and at end of build I was copying last build artifact back but we ran into interesting issues because

UAT tests would run full suite and take 10 min but dev suite will run mini suite and finish in 1 min so if someone triggered UAT test and then dev then dev would finish first and you would get wrong results attached to UAT build when it finishes. So he asked my help to fix it.  This was a nice problem and took me 2 hours but was worth it.

so jenkins has a way to give you the triggered build number of a downstream target in format of $TRIGGERED_BUILD_NUMBER_XXX where XXX is the build target name. It sounded like a piece of cake to configure the copy artifact target like this and get the job done but this was not working.



Finally after struggling for 2 hours with him I found out that it was this "-" that was causing issue.  I renamed the jenkins build to Run_Tests and that immediately solved the issue.

Comments

  1. A bit late to the party, but you could also have just written the variable name like this:

    ${TRIGGERED_BUILD_NUMBER_Run-Tests}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wrong about the ${}'s .. I now agree that the "-" is evil :) I retested my case and it did not work with a "-" afterall.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…