Skip to main content

Email slavery

It seems I have become an EmailSlave. The first half of the day is spent in just answering to emails. There are so many emails where I am copied but I need not be. There are many emails  where its a 1-2 page email and somewhere down someone says @KP please answer this.  So it seems daily my work schedule is:
  1. Signin to newrelic and check anomalies for 15 min. 
  2. Check emails related production exception report and yes there are a ton of these report daily. Need a better tool here as this model is not scalable. I need to reduce the incoming data at me to only see relevant data like what newrelic does. May be I need to create a webapp out of these emails.
  3. Check emails for next few minutes before team calls
  4. Do team calls
  5. Then again back to checking emails until a I have taken a best shot at answering everyone waiting for my reply.
  6. Attend team meetings on Tue/Thu

Being an architect and coder at heart I don't feel satisfied at end of the day if there is nothing tangible getting done at the end. Yes I can say hey I replied to 100 emails in a day and did 2 calls but that seems bullshit.  If you read this article http://tomtunguz.com/burnout/ it quotes
""
 I suspect burnout is much more pronounced for information workers - people who deal in bits each day - because unlike a mason or an architect, the product of much of our work isn’t visible. Even the tools we use, virtual to do lists and email, hide the work we’ve completed: tasks checked off and emails sent.
""

I had same problems when I was doing daily calls with the team but I have reduced it a lot by only talking to Team on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and instead of talking to 5 people now I talk to only 2.  I need to find something similar for email.


It seems I am not the only one chasing this dreaded #inboxzero, I reached it once on December 15th but am again back to lots dreaded slavery.

As per this venturebeat article http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/09/sendgrid-launches-iphone-app-so-marketers-can-track-their-email-performance-stats-on-the-move/  "Email’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated — certainly if SendGrid’s efforts are anything to go by.
Last year, we reported that SendGrid had sent out almost as many emails as McDonald’s had sold burgers. A year on from that, SendGrid reports that it has sent more than 300 billion emails since launch, equating to an average of 435 million emails per day, or 15 billion emails per month.
"
Action Items:

  1. I will myself try to think every time I hit reply All to see whether I need all these guys to be on the email or not. 
  2. Try writing short emails, twitter really make it harder for you to write as it allows only 140 chars but you eliminate a lot of garbage when you are constrained to only 140 chars.  check http://www.igzebedze.com/2014/12/business-haiku-efficient-emails/?wpst=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Killing a particular Tomcat thread

Update: This JSP does not work on a thread that is inside some native code.  On many occasions I had a thread stuck in JNI code and it wont work. Also in some cases thread.stop can cause jvm to hang. According to javadocs " This method is inherently unsafe. Stopping a thread with Thread.stop causes it to unlock all of the monitors that it has locked". I have used it only in some rare occasions where I wanted to avoid a system shutdown and in some cases we ended up doing system shutdown as jvm was hung so I had a 70-80% success with it.   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We had an interesting requirement. A tomcat thread that was spawned from an ExecutorService ThreadPool had gone Rogue and was causing lots of disk churning issues. We cant bring down the production server as that would involve downtime. Killing this thread was harmless but how to kill it, t

Adding Jitter to cache layer

Thundering herd is an issue common to webapp that rely on heavy caching where if lots of items expire at the same time due to a server restart or temporal event, then suddenly lots of calls will go to database at same time. This can even bring down the database in extreme cases. I wont go into much detail but the app need to do two things solve this issue. 1) Add consistent hashing to cache layer : This way when a memcache server is added/removed from the pool, entire cache is not invalidated.  We use memcahe from both python and Java layer and I still have to find a consistent caching solution that is portable across both languages. hash_ring and spymemcached both use different points for server so need to read/test more. 2) Add a jitter to cache or randomise the expiry time: We expire long term cache  records every 8 hours after that key was added and short term cache expiry is 2 hours. As our customers usually comes to work in morning and access the cloud file server it can happe

Preparing for an interview after being employed 11 years at a startup

I would say I didn't prepared a hell lot but  I did 2 hours in night every day and every weekend around 8 hours for 2-3 months. I did 20-30 leetcode medium problems from this list https://leetcode.com/explore/interview/card/top-interview-questions-medium/.  I watched the first 12 videos of Lecture Videos | Introduction to Algorithms | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare I did this course https://www.educative.io/courses/grokking-the-system-design-interview I researched on topics from https://www.educative.io/courses/java-multithreading-for-senior-engineering-interviews and leetcode had around 10 multithreading questions so I did those I watched some 10-20 videos from this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn1XnDWhsLS5URXTi5wtFTA