Skip to main content

Brother MFC490CW printer offline issue

Bought a new Brother printer on Thanksgiving day sale, though the reviews for a 1 year old version were better I bought this one thinking that it would be more better, but this is worse. The printer has no issues connecting for the first time and I was able to scan,print, copy through it but after 2-3 weeks I had to print a document and the printer would show offline in systray.One design flaw I see straight away in printer was no Ethernet port, WTF and it had only a USB port(at 10 in the night I didn't wanted to go shop for a USB port). Googling on it I somehow found that if you reinstall the printer it would work, later I found that there is no need to reinstall as my router is DHCP and I hadn't given a static IP to the printer it was getting a different IP so I had to go to printer properties and change the port.

After 1 week I had to scan a document for my wife's Math assignment and the printer in systray was showing offline, changing printer properties also wouldn't work as the scanner software was different. I did remote setup, reinstall the software but nothing happened. Again Googling someone told me to install a DNS server, I did nslookup on my printer name and it was resolving to some ip on internet, no wonder it would show me offline, I use roadrunner DNS. No way I wanted to install a DNS server for a freaking printer so I just managed to create a host entry and it worked like a charm. The issue turned out to be brother printer software only understand host name and doesn't go by IP address though you had given IP address, adding a host entry in c:\windows\system32\drives\etc\hosts file fixed the issue.

Net net the point I want to make for Hardware/Software companies is to understand the customer and design keeping the real world scenario in mind. Brother should know that 90% of its customer base is non-techy.I am in technical field I can understand this jargon, it was a troubleshooting issue and it was intimidating and I could spend 3-4 hours fixing it(complex bugs create a curiosity in engineers). A non technical guy who doesn't understand this jargon would simply just give up or call tech support guys. For tech support guys it would be nightmare getting repetitive calls every time. At least brother should put it as a FAQ on their site. Didn't brother guys tested this scenario of restarting the printer and testing again when it got a new DHCP IP address?

Comments

  1. Oh..that is bad. Usually newer versions are supposed to be better than the previous one. It is strange that this one was opposite. Didn't you check the specs on this one for ethernet and USB before buying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I did checked and I was strongly going to buy the Brother MFC 295CN that my friend has but the specs and reviews didn't raised a red flag.

    Anyways now that I know the IP/DNS fix its working good but what about other guys facing the same issue and Brother support people :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you explain how to add the host file entry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go to my router to figure out the ip address of the printer and I had made it a static ip so I dont need to change it every time. Then I went to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder and open hosts file in notepad and added this entry

    192.168.2.5 BRW00242c18c3df

    here BRW00242c18c3df is the name of my printer and 192.168.2.5 is the static ip I gave to printer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

Jersey posting multipart data

This took me sometime to figure out mostly it was because I was only including jersey-multipart-1.6.jar but I was not including mimepull-1.3.jar.

So the intent is to upload a file using REST api and we need pass meta attributes in addition to uploading the file. Also the intent is to stream the file instead of first storing it on the local disk. Here is some sample code.
@Path("/upload-service") public class UploadService { @Context protected HttpServletResponse response; @Context protected HttpServletRequest request; @POST @Consumes(MediaType.MULTIPART_FORM_DATA) @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON) public String uploadFile(@PathParam("fileName") final String fileName, @FormDataParam("workgroupId") String workgroupId, @FormDataParam("userId") final int userId, @FormDataParam("content") final InputStream content) throws JSONException { //.......Upload the file to S3 or netapp or any storage service } }
Now to tes…