Skip to main content

Engineering discipline in real life

I had signed up for frymire services who comes and tune up your AC 2 times a year for some $300 bucks.  This time the technician came and did some work on the AC in attic and then he went outside and did some work on compressor.  Then he left. On that day a cold front came and temp never go above 78 so my AC was not on, for last 2 days temp went above 78 so AC went on but instead of decreasing the temp it was increasing it. Whole night yesterday the temp kept on increasing from 78 to 84 and then decreased from 84 to 80(as the outside temp cooled off). There was a smell of mist in the air also. I was puzzled as to why the heck it was increasing instead of decreasing.  There was some thunderstorm 1 day back and there was an electrical outage also so my first suspicion was that it was because of that I went and tripped the power supply but that had no effect. Now being an enginner I didnt wanted to give up easily, I had no idea what an AC compressor is so googled a bit and thought of tripping it.

I went out side and when I looked at the compressor outlet I was pissed, the stupid technician after cleaning the compressors hadnt put the plug back in so for last 2 days AC was running without compressor( no wonder it wont cool).  I was both thrilled on solving the puzzle but I was also pissed on the technician.  Engineering discipline it seems helps in real life also and it saved me some $150 bucks that frymire would have charged for coming to check on the AC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...