Skip to main content

Reading concetration mobile vs desktop

I read a hell lot of content these days on zite quora, not sure but something has changed in past 4-6 months, earlier I was a big time consumer of netflix and now a days I rarely watch it. I have cut the cord on cable for past 2 years and I rarely miss it. 

I daily put my son to bed and the guy takes more than an hour to sleep, he will find all sorts of excuses from "I am thirsty or I have to pee" to just get out of bedroom. With kids you got to stick to the routine and consistent else if he is up beyond certain time then he gets cranky and what takes an hour usually takes 2 hours. So for that 1 hour I am in a dark room waiting for him to sleep. I recently started covering a blanket on myself and started reading on my phone, but the wifi in bedroom sucks as its far from Router in study where I work in day time. Also earlier had an Iphone 3GS and it was good for calling but apps were too slow and the Tmobile 3G network used to suck. I switched to Iphone5 a month ago and its super fast. On top of that I switched back to AT&T and 4GLTE is super fast. So this has been a blessing. Now I have almost 30-45 min daily of uninterrupted time to think or read.

So I use Zite/Quora on my mobile to read things. One thing I noticed is that when you are reading on mobile you have the utmost concentration on reading that one and only one article, there are very few things disturbing you.  I dont use whatsapp or facebook or havent even synched gmail on my phone. I dont want to get disturbed while I am in bedroom. I had a discussion with a relative who is a bigshot at a very big company, he lives his life on mobile as he is always travelling, his son who also lives his life on mobile as he is on campus. He and his son peeked at my phone and their reaction was "man this phone is virgin" , why do you even have this phone, there are no apps on it, nor even email. I work from home so 90% of the time I am at home so always in front of laptop and that’s why  I dont need any apps.  Now after getting the fast phone and faster data plan it seems for that 1 hour daily I am on phone with no distractions. But with same logic i am in front of laptop daily but there are so many distractions, if I am reading an article or news in morning then I am getting pings from many people or calls on skype or IM on jabber or even on web there are so many ads and other things on the rendered page. Also there is multi tab browsing on desktop, problem with that is your concentration breaks and if one page is loading slow you immediately switch to other. On mobile you have no choice, if its slow then you wait.  So lately I am observing that if I am reading quora/zite on mobile I  have more concentration than if I am in chrome or FF in desktop.

To end the post on concentration I found this very good answer on quora as to what is programming http://qr.ae/yvZ5b   I do this a lot of time, I stand in front of study window and I am staring outside or I am sitting at the chair and staring at blank window, or take a 5 min break to watch my fig plants to relax and think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Killing a particular Tomcat thread

Update: This JSP does not work on a thread that is inside some native code.  On many occasions I had a thread stuck in JNI code and it wont work. Also in some cases thread.stop can cause jvm to hang. According to javadocs " This method is inherently unsafe. Stopping a thread with Thread.stop causes it to unlock all of the monitors that it has locked". I have used it only in some rare occasions where I wanted to avoid a system shutdown and in some cases we ended up doing system shutdown as jvm was hung so I had a 70-80% success with it.   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We had an interesting requirement. A tomcat thread that was spawned from an ExecutorService ThreadPool had gone Rogue and was causing lots of disk churning issues. We cant bring down the production server as that would involve downtime. Killing this thread was harmless but how to kill it, t

Adding Jitter to cache layer

Thundering herd is an issue common to webapp that rely on heavy caching where if lots of items expire at the same time due to a server restart or temporal event, then suddenly lots of calls will go to database at same time. This can even bring down the database in extreme cases. I wont go into much detail but the app need to do two things solve this issue. 1) Add consistent hashing to cache layer : This way when a memcache server is added/removed from the pool, entire cache is not invalidated.  We use memcahe from both python and Java layer and I still have to find a consistent caching solution that is portable across both languages. hash_ring and spymemcached both use different points for server so need to read/test more. 2) Add a jitter to cache or randomise the expiry time: We expire long term cache  records every 8 hours after that key was added and short term cache expiry is 2 hours. As our customers usually comes to work in morning and access the cloud file server it can happe

Preparing for an interview after being employed 11 years at a startup

I would say I didn't prepared a hell lot but  I did 2 hours in night every day and every weekend around 8 hours for 2-3 months. I did 20-30 leetcode medium problems from this list https://leetcode.com/explore/interview/card/top-interview-questions-medium/.  I watched the first 12 videos of Lecture Videos | Introduction to Algorithms | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare I did this course https://www.educative.io/courses/grokking-the-system-design-interview I researched on topics from https://www.educative.io/courses/java-multithreading-for-senior-engineering-interviews and leetcode had around 10 multithreading questions so I did those I watched some 10-20 videos from this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn1XnDWhsLS5URXTi5wtFTA