Skip to main content

Java Annotations/AOP and being lazy

I have found that if you try to be lazy then you would use AOP and annotations more. I try to be lazy and my blood boil when DRY being violated in the code. My goal is to how to make code simple yet powerful and try to hide complexity from an average developer and if the complexity cant be avoided then keep it in a single layer as much as possible.

AOP allows you to hide the compexity in a single layer transparent to an average junior developer.  For e.g.
1)  I was given a requirement to allow X no of Read and Y no of Write request per node as Berkely db couldnt handle >X+Y requests.  So AOP helped me sort it out. I created an interceptor MetadataThrottlingInterceptor and created two annotations @MetadataWriter and @MetadataReader.  So I just annotated the methods in the storage layer with these annoatations and used a threadpool in the Interceptor class to limit the read/write request.  This allowed me to hide the complexity in a layer and transparent to the developer. A junior developer now has to only annotate new methods with read/write and  if he is not curious he wouldnt even know what these are for.

2) I was given a requirement to track performance of methods of a particular class in Graphite. The problem was that in future developers can add more methods and add more code and what if they move code around and that can lead to wrong numbers being reported. So I just created a PerfInterceptor and added @PerfIntercepted annotation to every method that we wanted to track. Again being lazy helped me to hide the complexity.

3) I added sharding to our storage layer and again I wanted to hide the complexity of sharding to an average developer so I created a MetadataShardingInterceptor and it automatically handles selection of shard. The sql is assumed to written like
select * from ${SCHEMA_NAME}.files_${SHARD_NUMBER}.

The assumption is that every method would contain a customer argument and the AOP layer derives the shard metadata and does replacement transparent to junior developer.

So as you start to think in direction of making life easy for your team or be lazy to avoid DRY violation you tend to use more of AOP and annotation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...