Skip to main content

Orion skyquest finder scope alignment

I got my orion skyquest XT6 telescope from craigslist and on first good day of viewing I was able to see moon craters and saturn but  even though I would see the moon in cross hair intersection of finder scope I will have to literally spend 1-2 mins trying to bring it in the main eyepiece. And man I was frustrated as moon is still big but saturn took me almost 5 mins to bring it in eyepiece. Something was not right and I remembered the owner had said to collimate the telescope. So I used this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAVGcGEBmCE  to collimate the telescope next day and again in the night same frustration something wasnt right.

So I remembered that in order to  bring it home I had to disassemble the finder scope, tube and base in order to transfer it safely in my car and when putting it back I had tightened some screws on the finder scope and voila that was it.  I read the manual it seems that as shown in the image the finder scope mirror need to be aligned to be in parallel to the  main mirror in the scope.  Thos two black screws in the image are used to move the scope left and right and towards and away from the scope.  So I took the scope out in the day light and pointed it  towards the street and put the 25mm eyepiece in the main scope. then I saw the top of a house in the finder scope and then in eyepiece. I kept tweaking the screws till I can see the exact object in finder scope cross hair intersection in the main eyepiece.  I repeated the same process with 10mm eyepiece.

And boy in the night I could locate the saturn or moon in finder scope cross hair and then it was dead centre in the main scope.

Next task is to see Jupiter and mars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…