Skip to main content

Combine mysql alter statements for performance benefits

We have 1200+ shards spread across 20 mysql servers. I am working on some denormalization project to remove joins and improve performance of a big snapshot query.  I had to alter a table with 8 denormalized columns so initially my script was

alter table file_p1_mdb1_t1 add column ctime BIGINT;
alter table file_p1_mdb1_t1 add column size BIGINT;
alter table file_p1_mdb1_t1 add column user_id BIGINT;

in performance environment when I generated the alter script and started applying alter I started seeing below data where each alter is taking 30sec. I was like this could take 80 hours to alter 1200 shards each with 8 alter per table. Even if we do 20 servers in parallel this could take 4 hours.

Query OK, 1446841 rows affected (33.58 sec)
Records: 1446841  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

Query OK, 1446841 rows affected (31.66 sec)
Records: 1446841  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

Query OK, 1446841 rows affected (31.86 sec)
Records: 1446841  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

Query OK, 1446841 rows affected (32.15 sec)
Records: 1446841  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

so I wrote a new alter that looks like
alter table file_p1_mdb1_t1 add column ctime BIGINT,
add column size BIGINT,
add column user_id BIGINT;

and this shows same constant time. So this would take 10 hours. But we can do the 20 servers in parallel and should finish in 30 min.

Query OK, 1446841 rows affected (33.58 sec)
Records: 1446841  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0


Lesson learnt, when you are operating at scale even small optimizations count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…