Skip to main content

Inertia

Lot of intertia is built up when you are using a laptop for 4 years. I got a new company laptop and I was procrastinating to switch to it.  Primary reason was that some of the things that I use daily were not working on new laptop.  Mostly pidgin, py-dev. Also evolution and other settings have changed have changed in ubuntu 12.04.

Finally I found out why my pidgin was not working in my new laptop. It seems I have a 8 year old router and somehow one of the devices in my home keeps hijacking the ip address assigned to my new laptop. I found this out  because randomly web browsing was slow on the new laptop and when Idid ifconfig I realized it was assigned 192.168.2.2 IP and I remember the hijacking of this IP by Roku or some other device. Anyways assigning a static IP to my wireless and ethernet connection seems to have solved the issue.

I am up and running on new laptop but still lots of small small thigns are annoying when you change to a new laptop like the new unity sucks so I switched to ubuntu classic but now weather indicator is not working, pidgin, skype are not displaying in systray, the external monitor somehow is not picking proper resolution when mirroring screen. Alt+tab is not working.

Anyways the only solution it seems to me right now is to just start using the new laptop and keep plodding.


But there are lots of good things also about new laptop. It has 16G ram and it has SSD. Also the mysql schema rebuilds in 1 min that used to take 8 min on old laptop.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are Download Erlang Download Rabbit MQ Server Download Rabbit MQ Java client jars Compile and run the below two class and you are done. This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time. For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/ +++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.se...

Jersey streaming binary data

In the previous post I showed how you can post binary data to a jersey REST api. You can also use Jersey to serve files, although its better done by apache or nginx but sometimes you might want to serve thumbnails stored in a database out of a service and put varnish in front of the REST api to cache the thumbnails. This is just a demonstration of using jersey to serve binary data in streaming fashion. @Path("/download-service") public class DownaloadService extends SecureRestService { private static final AppLogger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(DownaloadService.class); @POST @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM) public StreamingOutput getThumbnail( @FormParam("securityKey") final String securityKey, @FormParam("guid") final String guid) throws JSONException { return new StreamingOutput() { @Override public void write(OutputStream out) throws IOException { try { if (!isAuthorized(securityKey)) { response.sendErro...

Spring 3.2 quartz 2.1 Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.

I am trying to enable HA on nodes and in that process I found that in a two test node setup a job that has a frequency of 10 sec was running into deadlock. So I tried upgrading from Quartz 1.8 to 2.1 by following the migration guide but I ran into an exception that says "Jobs added with no trigger must be durable.". After looking into spring and Quartz code I figured out that now Quartz is more strict and earlier the scheduler.addJob had a replace parameter which if passed to true would skip the durable check, in latest quartz this is fixed but spring hasnt caught up to this. So what do you do, well I jsut inherited the factory and set durability to true and use that public class DurableJobDetailFactoryBean extends JobDetailFactoryBean {     public DurableJobDetailFactoryBean() {         setDurability(true);     } } and used this instead of JobDetailFactoryBean in the spring bean definition     <bean i...