Skip to main content

Velocity, code quality and manual QA

Unless you can remove manual QA, you can either have code quality or you can have release velocity. You cant have both goals, you need to compromise on one of them.

We recently did a big release where we replaced lot of old DWR apis with REST apis and we revamped a big part of old ExtJS UI with backbone based UI. The release was done in a duration of 4 weeks and even after delaying the release by 1 week, there were some bugs found by some customers.  I had expected some issues and I am of proponent of "fail fast and fix fast".  Many of these issues we were able to find and fix it on the weekend itself.

In the coming week we found an issue on Friday afternoon and we had a similar bug fixed for next release that would fix this bug also, but QA was unsure of merging this fix as most of the QA team was out. This is the second last week of december and it seems everyone is out for christmas so it was decided to delay the fix to be done when QA was available. Now I have to daily run some query to detect the bad data and run some cleanup scripts.

Doing this cleanup for last 2 days I realized this is BS and how can we break this dependency on human touch points. We have code coverage but only 45% line coverage and some 31% branch coverage.  It seems we have two conflicting goals "Velocity of feature releases" and "code quality".  We do one release every 2-3 weeks and until we can automate the hell out of code base to get close to 90%+ code coverage we would continue to run into this situation. We want to release every week or every day in future and unless we can eliminate human QA that goal seems far fetched.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…