Skip to main content

nginx enable compression and JS/CSS files

So one of my old colleague was trying to find some quick way of increasing performance for his pet project website so he asked me to take a look.  First thing I did was ran pagespeed and immediately I saw compression was off, css/js was not aggregated. JS/CSS aggregation would require either build changes or installing pagespeed so I thought quick 1 hour fix would be to just enable compression so I went and enabled " gzip  on;"  in nginx conf and it gave a good bump on login page but the home page after login, it kept complaining about JS/CSS not being compressed. I was scratching my head and left it as is that day.

Yesterday night finally I found out that turning gzip on would only compress text/html by default in nginx.  You need to explicity turn it on for other types. So I went and added the below and problem was solved.

    gzip_types  text/plain application/xml text/css text/js text/xml application/x-javascript text/javascript application/javascript application/json;
  

While doing this I also installed pagespeed with nginx. It was not as fun as installing it in apache because for nginx if you have to add module you need to recompile it from source. But it was worth it.  The pagespeed score that was 60 went up to 90.

I really like products that removes human touchpoints, Pagespeed is one of them, Thanks to Google for creating this awesome product.  At my employer's website before pagespeed I had to hunt developers every release to see if they had added proper version tags, they had followed build time aggregation guidelines and due to our release velocity, this was the first thing that was sacrificed and debt would keep piling up release after release. One day some customer would complain and everyone would scramble to get it fixed in one week. But thanks to pagespeed no more of this shit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ java clients for beginners

Here is a sample of a consumer and producer example for RabbitMQ. The steps are
Download ErlangDownload Rabbit MQ ServerDownload Rabbit MQ Java client jarsCompile and run the below two class and you are done.
This sample create a Durable Exchange, Queue and a Message. You will have to start the consumer first before you start the for the first time.

For more information on AMQP, Exchanges, Queues, read this excellent tutorial
http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/

+++++++++++++++++RabbitMQProducer.java+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
import com.rabbitmq.client.Connection; import com.rabbitmq.client.Channel; import com.rabbitmq.client.*; public class RabbitMQProducer { public static void main(String []args) throws Exception { ConnectionFactory factory = new ConnectionFactory(); factory.setUsername("guest"); factory.setPassword("guest"); factory.setVirtualHost("/"); factory.setHost("127.0.0.1"); factory.setPort(5672); Conne…

Logging to Graphite monitoring tool from java

We use Graphite as a tool for monitoring some stats and watch trends. A requirement is to monitor impact of new releases as build is deployed to app nodes to see if things like
1) Has the memcache usage increased.
2) Has the no of Java exceptions went up.
3) Is the app using more tomcat threads.
Here is a screenshot

We changed the installer to log a deploy event when a new build is deployed. I wrote a simple spring bean to log graphite events using java. Logging to graphite is easy, all you need to do is open a socket and send lines of events.
import org.slf4j.Logger;import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import java.io.OutputStreamWriter; import java.io.Writer; import java.net.Socket; import java.util.HashMap; import java.util.Map; public class GraphiteLogger { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(GraphiteLogger.class); private String graphiteHost; private int graphitePort; public String getGraphiteHost() { return graphiteHost; } public void setGraphite…

What a rocky start to labor day weekend

Woke up by earthquake at 7:00 AM in morning and then couldn't get to sleep. I took a bath, made my tea and started checking emails and saw that after last night deployment three storage node out of 100s of nodes were running into Full GC. What was special about the 3 nodes was that each one was in a different Data centre but it was named same app02.  This got me curious I asked the node to be taken out of rotation and take a heap dump.  Yesterday night a new release has happened and I had upgraded spymemcached library version as new relic now natively supports instrumentation on it so it was a suspect. And the hunch was a bullseye, the heap dump clearly showed it taking 1.3G and full GCs were taking 6 sec but not claiming anything.



I have a quartz job in each jvm that takes a thread dump every 5 minutes and saves last 300 of them, checking few of them quickly showed a common thread among all 3 data centres. It seems there was a long running job that was trying to replicate pending…